Cate Leach from Damsel in Defense joins the podcast to equip, empower and educate us on how to protect ourselves and our families with personal protection tips.
What we discussed…
(0:43) Cate explains why she became interested in personal protection.
(1:57) Cate begins by discussing situational awareness and being smart when alone and using simple things like a flashlight.
(5:16) We talk about women trusting their inner instinct and intuition and teaching our kids to honor those feelings too.
(7:05) How something as simple as a whistle can help you.
(8:49) We discuss when to talk to our kids about self-defense and how to broach the topic without scaring them.
(11:44) When should you make eye contact with strangers to let them know you see them and should our kids do the same?
(15:37) Cate explains “staging your house” when I ask about what single moms can do to feel safe at home at night.
(20:13) Most people wait until something happens before they buy personal protection equipment. The time to invest in the equipment (or even dig up your flashlight and whistle) is now. Cate also talks about how it does no good just to own the equipment. You must know how to use and get some muscle memory, so you’re prepared in an emergency.
Overview: What I learned about Personal Protection for women
- If you don’t have a lot of money, then start with a whistle or a flashlight. Carry them with you and use them. Teach your kids how to use them.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Let others know you see them and could identify them if needed.
- Stage your home with your personal protection equipment. Make sure everyone in your family knows where your equipment is.
- If you have personal protection equipment, become very familiar with how to use it. In the heat of the moment, you need to be ready to act on instinct.
- Consider equipment that gives you and your children time to escape. There’s a lot of equipment available that’s friendly enough for women but powerful enough to buy you time to get safe.
More info about personal protection and Cate Leach
- Tips and videos about many aspects of personal protection available inside Cate’s Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/armedandbeautiful/
- Shop the products Cate mentions in the podcast: https://www.mydamselpro.net/cateleach/